Venetian Plaster Application

Before you begin any Venetian plaster application project be it at work or home you must prepare the work area. Remove any furniture and clutter that is in the way, furniture that cannot moved away must be covered with dust sheets.

If you have walls that have satin or gloss paint these must be sanded with

Blue Lucidato Polished Plaster

course grit sand paper to give the work surface a good key for better adhesion of the primer & plaster. The primer and plaster will not adhere to smooth slippery surfaces. You will also need to sand down any bumps and rough areas, especially the internal & external angles, ceiling line & skirting line as these are the main trouble spots.

The surface must also be clean & free of dirt, grease, glue & oils. If removing wall paper be sure to remove all wall paper paste ( glue ). The walls can be washed down with a solution of sugar soap if needed.

Repair any cracks or damage to the walls and sand down to a flat finish, any imperfections in the wall will be mirrored in the Venetian plaster finish. Remove any dust from the walls, options vacuum, damp cloth etc.

Anything you do not want to come into contact with the plaster must masked off using decorators tape. Eg: corniche, skirting, adjoining walls etc.

Get all your tools together and organise them so they are to hand when needed. Tools you will need are burnishing trowel, laying on trowel, spatula, roller, paint brushes, paint tray, masking tape, cloth, sand paper, dust sheets and water bucket for cleaning tools.

Prime your walls with a fine quartz grit primer. If you are going over a painted surface it is best to do this 24 hours before applying the Venetian plaster. The primer can applied with a roller or paint brush.

If you have bought Venetian plaster that is white you will need to mix either a powder or liquid colourant into the plaster. Your Venetian plaster supplier should be able to supply colourants separately or mix them for you.

Apply the Plaster

When your walls are primed and ready, apply your first coat of Venetian plaster to the whole wall. Hold your trowel at about a 45 degree angle and press firmly to apply the plaster in a thin layer. When finished the Venetian plaster should be flat, even with out any trowel lines if possible.

When the Venetian plaster is dry give the wall a light sand using a 400 grit paper to remove any trowel lines or snots you can see. Clean the surface and remove any dust with a damp cloth.

When ready apply another coat of Venetian plaster covering 60% of the working area leaving open areas to finish later, full back and then cover the remaining 40%. With a clean trowel burnish the area using a little pressure behind the trowel. As the Venetian plaster hardens you will be able to burnish again with more pressure behind the trowel until you get a high polished finish like marble.

Leave the finished wall to dry sufficiently, normally 24 hours. You can then apply a wax either a liquid wax or spatula wax. The wall can then be polished using a mechanical polisher to enhance the shine and the wax will also protect the wall form dirt and grease from hands.

ProtectGuard Stucco can be used to make the finish water and oil repellent.